Guns and Gun News 2017

Defending Free Speech in Canandaigua and Ontario County... and New York State. The USA, too. Ummm, the World also. Heck, the Universe.
ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion
The middle number please (3): 5

Guns and Gun News 2017

Postby ajsuff » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:46 pm

......................... from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

BAGS - Survival Go-Bags

10 Survival Go-Bags that Could Save Your Life

Blackhawk Ultra Light Phoenix Pack
5.11 Tactical Triab 18
Sitka Flash 32
Eberlestock X3 LoDrag
CamelBak TriZip
LL Bean Maine Guide Rucksack
Cabela's Outfitter Series Hunter's Rucksack
Badlands Recon
Mountain Hardwear Enterprise
Big Agnes Stagecoach Waterproof Rolling Duffel

http://www.gunsandammo.com/survival/sur ... z4VsB9VeZS
Dimmi con chi vai, e ti diro chi sei –
Tell me with whom you associate and I’ll tell you what you are

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Re: Guns and Gun News 2017

Postby ajsuff » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:43 pm

........................ from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

REVIEW - Marlin 1894 Rifle

The Marlin 1894 has a long-standing reputation for reliability and ruggedness. Marlin has seemingly brought all that back with a level of precision that has been missing with this brand for some time.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/marlin-1894-review/

(Marlin always made excellent arms when I was growing up. We all had Marlins and I still have a few. Our 336, 30/30 and the 35 Remington were great in the brush. In fact, the 35 Remington to me is the best deer brush gun there is. Many deer hunters own this rifle. I also during my hunting years used the Marlin 444 and the 45/70. Many fly fisherman carry either one of these rifles for protection against Grizzly and/or Kodiak Beer in Alaska. That is a testament to the rifle. I favor the 45/70 since I'm fond of large bullets. A 45/70 is around 500 gr bullet. A great brush gun if your ever in the brush facing a Bear. But the 444 is a great rifle as well. The bullet is around 250gr and its flying baby. Good knock down power, either one.)

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:51 pm

....................... from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

Ruger Redhawk Revolver Review

Fans of the .44 Remington Magnum owe a debt to Elmer Keith. Keith was a cigar-smoking, Stetson-wearing westerner who first wrote the “Gun Notes” column for this magazine. He was a proponent of bigbore sixguns and liked to load the antique .44 Special with lots of gunpowder. Keith convinced Remington and Smith & Wesson to collaborate, and in 1956 the .44 Magnum and the S&W Model 29 were born. Twenty-four years later, Ruger introduced the Redhawk double-action revolver, and it would come to be regarded as one of the strongest-built .44 Magnum sixguns you could buy.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/ruge ... er-review/

(Another Excellent Gun Company)

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:54 pm

......................... from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

REVIEW - Colt Single Action Army Revolver

A gun is a tool. Like a hammer, it’s a soulless instrument used to solve problems. Dad’s old lever gun or that Luger Grandpa brought back from the Bulge might have sentimental value, but its significance is forged of blood relation; your kinsman who handled it established the nostalgic appeal you cherish. Some guns are innovative, some interesting and some forgettable, but they’re all just tools — with the exception of one. For as long as you’ve been seeking oxygen, craftsmen in Hartford, Connecticut, have been breathing life into a gun that, after more than 140 years, refuses to be exiled into antiquity. It’s one that was dropped on the banks of the Little Big Horn in 1876. In Arizona, Bat Masterson wielded it with retribution in 1878 and Wyatt Earp with ease and efficiency in 1881. The Rough Riders carried it up San Juan Hill, and it rode the range, the veldt and the gold fields with Major Burnham. Americans carried it to Europe during World War I, and Patton carried it there and to Africa during World War II. In 1969, John Wayne carried one to his only Oscar win. For as long as young men have fantasized about gunfighters and saloons, toy versions of this gun have graced their hands. The Colt Single Action Army (SAA) revolver is a handgun that embodies the American spirit like no other.

Read more at:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/colt ... er-review/

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:08 pm

....................... from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

RELOADING - Reloading the .45 Colt

In 1873, the U.S. Army adopted a new service handgun and cartridge. The gun? The legendary Colt Single Action Army. The cartridge? The equally iconic .45 Colt. The round was originally loaded with a 255-grain lead bullet over 40 grains of FFg black powder for a velocity of about 900 fps (out of the issue SAA’s 7½-inch barrel). It was a formidable cartridge, used on good guys, bad guys and innumerable game, large and small. It is immensely popular to this day, and justifiably so. Much to the irritation of cartridge buffs, the .45 Colt is often incorrectly referred to as the “.45 Long Colt,” and many guns, cartridge boxes and cases have been so labeled. But this was never an official designation for the round. The term was meant to differentiate it from the shorter (and newer) .45 Smith & Wesson (aka the .45 Schofield).

More at:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reloading/re ... e-45-colt/

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:26 pm

...................... from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

SHOOT 101 - Get Started Reloading

Getting into reloading can seem like a monumental task. Lots of specialized equipment is needed, and trying to figure out how to get up and running can be daunting. However, reloading is what will allow a lot of newer shooters to really branch out within the hobby. Reloading is a great way to make inexpensive practice ammo, or to create loads that will perform better in your firearms. It can also open new opportunities to shoot firearms for which factory ammunition is not readily available. The best way to get into reloading is to find someone with a setup and have them show you the ropes. However, if you’re new to shooting this might not be an option. Here we will give you a high-level overview and introduction to the process. Always remember that there are many helpful resources online when it comes to reloading.

Learn more at:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/shoot101/reloading-101/

(Reloading can be quite helpful in a number of ways. In our early days, several of us would go to each others homes and all teach each other what some were unsure about. We also asked our elders and read up on reloading. Reloading today can be far more expensive than in our early days. Powder, primers, and bullets all have seen drastic increases over the years due to material costs. But the fact is that you can make your ammo to your preferences - make it hot , for instance, and have the proper weapon to discharge such a bullet. A rifle, pistol, revolver, are all weapons that can protect and kill. Depending on what you want that weapon to do for you, depends on the type of weapon you want. Always buy quality guns. Shooting wadcutters for various calibers is one inexpensive way to become familiar and good with your weapon. A weapon is worthless unless you know how to shoot it well. Practice makes perfect.)

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:39 am

................................ from The Sportsman's Guide ................................

Running low on AMMO. Well here's a good source to get some.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productl ... 911&jb=713

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:51 am

Top 1911 Guns for 2017

A bunch of new 1911s were unveiled at this year’s SHOT Show and include everything from snub-nose micro models to long slides with wide-body frames. Caliber offerings range from .22 LR through 9mm and 10mm to .45 ACP. After giving them considerable thought, here are my Top 10 new 1911s. I’ll give you a hint: Most of my favorites are either 9mm or 10mm.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/shot-show-20 ... -for-2017/

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:05 pm

How to Reload Your Own Ammo

Handloading or reloading accomplishes a few things. It teaches shooters about ammunition and also greatly decreases the cost to shoot. Always follow manufacturers’ reloading guidelines before attempting to reload.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/shoot101/how ... t=shoot101

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:11 pm

RamRodz - a Revolutionary Gun Cleaning System................

The Best Way To Clean Your Gun?................ What Are RamRodz?

RamRodz Barrel and Breech Cleaners are a new line of caliber specific gun cleaning swabs consequently eliminating the need for cotton patches. They provide superior cleaning performance in a fraction of the time. Due to their low-lint, highly absorbent cotton heads RamRodz® make gun cleaning hassle and mess free.

If interested check it out at:
http://ramrodz.com/?utm_source=Enews&ut ... tent=March

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:54 pm

AMMO - Black Hills 60-Gr. .380 Honey Badger

Eric Poole and Kyle Lamb look at the new .380 defense load from Black Hills.

Check out the video at:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/tv/black-hil ... ey-badger/

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:25 pm

........................ from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

PISTOL-CAL CARBINES - Hi-Point Pistol-Caliber Carbines

Hi-Point has introduced the first .380 carbine to go along with their 9mm & .45.

Check out the video at:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/tv/hi-point- ... -carbines/

(I owned the 9mm Hi-Point which I purchased from an FFL dealer in Greece. He had none at the Gun Show that were without a scope. This gun is very nice, and a nice little weapon to have beside yourself for defense. It held 10 round and was not consider an Assault Weapon in 2002 when the Nation had an Assault Weapon ban. However under the NY Safe Act it is due to the ergonomics of the clip being in the handle part. When the law was first passed I went to a Gun store to find out if it was illegal to own. Or need to be registered. One fellow told me not to register it, and they were going to take all my guns away if it did. He was a typical Joseph Goebbels propaganda gun jerk. He told me it did not need to be registered. I did not believe him and drove to Beikirks in East Rochester, where I was told it did need to be register, and they were not going to sell my gun out of state due to the amount of other weapons they had and low demand for this type. So I turned it in at the State Police Barracks in Farmington to be melted down. I was told there by a Lt Investigator, that if I kept this weapon and registered it, I could not shoot it. I know on this forum, one person made mention to this that I was wrong. Maybe the law has changed since then. I informed this forum what I was told. I'm not going to get into a pissing match with anyone over a law. Plus, don't ever believe what gun groups, and some gun people spew. Many of them don't know their a** from a hole in the ground about guns, gun laws, previous gun laws, and the constitution of the US. Many keep saying the law will be repealed,or we should have a different law for upstate NY. I was told my guns would be confiscated. Were they? SEE! As Joseph Goebbels said, a lie told once is worthless, But an untruth told a hundred times becomes truth. Remember that! I will not own any gun that I cannot shoot. If it was legal here, I would like to buy the 45 caliber one. If I move to another state, or if modifications are done here on this weapon to make it not considered an assault weapon, I would buy one again.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:36 pm

SHOOT 101 - Long-Range Shooting Tips

In the world of weapons, distance has always beckoned. Spear throwers competed to see who could throw farthest. Merry Olde England’s King’s Archers allegedly had to qualify on 200-yard targets—with longbows and wood shafts. Civil War marksmen made confirmed kills past 1,000 yards with black powder and greased lead Minie balls. Buffalo hunters laid flat groups of bison at previously unheard-of distances. Today, several top snipers have “eliminated threats” past 2,000 yards. rouble is, this is the information age, and in terms of long-range shooting, it’s the Age of the Gadget. Precision shooting at extreme distance is arguably the biggest trend in the shooting sports, and all too many shooters seem to believe they can purchase their way into long-distance ability by acquiring the latest cutting-edge gadgets and gizmos. Mind you, now, I’m a fan of gadgets and gizmos. Love ’em. However, no matter how sophisticated your gear, it’s the man behind the rifle—the nut behind the bolt, some would say—that must make the shot.

So here’s a discussion of a few skills vital to making critical long-range shots. In full disclosure, some gadgetry does creep in to this confabulation, but in my defense it’s in order to enhance your skill in picking the right gadget.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/shoot101/lon ... t=shoot101

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Fri May 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Best New Products from the 2017 NRA Show

The 2017 NRA Annual Meetings in Atlanta showcased thousands of new firearms, ammunition, optics and accessories. These are a few examples of innovative gear that we found worth spotlighting.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/nra-2017/bes ... ontent=nra

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sun May 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Ultimate Father’s Day Gift Guide for Shooters

It’s that time of year again. The weather is warming and the birds are chirping, but that equates to a lot of extra work for good old Dad. To thank him for all of that post-winter cleanup he’s been doing around the yard, consider rewarding him this Father’s Day with one — or all — of Guns & Ammo’s Father’s Day gift ideas. We’ve done the legwork so you don’t have to and drummed up 11 gift ideas that Dad will love

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gear-accesso ... t=shooting

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Debunking the Myths of Appendix Carry

There are as many ways to carry a handgun as there are body types and all have their strengths and weaknesses. Over the past few years, Appendix Inside the Waistband (AIWB) or appendix carry has enjoyed a massive surge in popularity. Those who have adopted appendix carry as their preferred method can be almost cult-like in its defense, while many (who often haven’t tried it) quickly dismiss it as dangerous or uncomfortable. Let’s explore the positives and negatives of appendix carry, with an eye toward debunking some of the many myths that surround it.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/tips-tactics ... articleurl

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:06 pm

Meet Mr. Kalashnikov

What sets apart Mikhail Kalashnikov from other famous rifle designers? That’s a fairly simple question to answer. No other small-arms designer in history has breathed life into a rifle that has been manufactured in the quantities of Kalashnikov’s Avtomat. With estimates starting at 50 million, the Kalashnikov assault rifle has no peer. The natural question to follow is why has this Russian design, scoffed at by many in the West, proven so popular and long lived? To understand the rifle, one must first understand its designer. If one understands Mikhail Kalashnikov, the secret of his Avtomat is revealed

http://www.gunsandammo.com/historical/m ... lashnikov/

Ammunition For The AK

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/ammunition-for-the-ak/

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:46 am

...................... from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

2017 Holiday Gift Guide - Here are some great gear for the favorite shooter on your shopping list.

Looking for the perfect holiday gift for your favorite shooter? Here are 10 must-have items selected by the G&A Editors.

Read more:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/sponsored/20 ... ygiftguide

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:51 am

..................... from Guns & Ammo Network ..................................

New Gun Safe Makes Huge Leap in Smart-Tech Design

Vaultek’s new PRO VTi handgun safe is one of the simplest and most secure safes now available.

Read more:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/sponsored/ne ... t=article1

Return to “The Home of the Minions”