Good Morning Minionville 2017

Defending Free Speech in Canandaigua and Ontario County... and New York State. The USA, too. Ummm, the World also. Heck, the Universe.
ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion
The middle number please (3): 5

Re: Good Morning Minionville 2017

Postby ajsuff » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:23 am

Going up to Cobblestoenb Arts Center with other tech members to overlook their new Performing ArtsTheater for accessibility under the ADA. it is not and is a violation of the ADA. i was there not too long ago and now have my team down. We give you free advice on assistive listening devices that are requiered under the law and then you give you vendors who are certified and will not steer you wrongly. I have worked with Ontario County with CMAC, And thei FLCC Auditorium -425 seat - for approval under the ADA. To get an operating license you need approval,. I watch this area like carefully. I was unable last fall to go there due to open heart surgery and cardiac rehab. I have surgery coming up soon on 8/8. Anything east of here is in the middle ages. Counties have ADA coordinators and cities do as well who are paid and in some instance have been found to be looking the other way, unless a guy like me is around. I have worked with churches and county and have saved many of them much expenses by giving them qualitative and quanitative advice.

Many are now forwarding of non-complying buildings to the ADA and FCC. You then are shut down,need to hire an attorney and required to fix the problem and no art performance until problem is corrected. I don't work this way and have had success accomplishing accessibility here and elsewhere.
Dimmi con chi vai, e ti diro chi sei –
Tell me with whom you associate and I’ll tell you what you are

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Picked 16 lbs of blueberries this am. Harvesting huge amounts of red raspberries, black raspberries and blackberries from our garden. Bumper year. Our red raspberries are Heritage, and we get 2 pickings - another one in October. Heritage is the benchmark for all red raspberries. Zucchini's, tomatoes all doing good. Picked 10 zucchini's yesterday and around 10 peppers. Peppers have been IQF'D. Zucchini's passed out. Our tomatoes plants are over 4' high and huge amount of San Marzano's. We will have another good canning year. Our ever bearing strawberries are still going good and will keep producing until frost time. Our herbal garden is absolutely outstanding this year -maybe due to lots of rain. I also haven't seen our herbs so large and bearing as this summer. We have been drying all summer. We buy no herbs from store. Tomorrow all our garlic will be pulled and then placed in barn to dry.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:50 am

Have to go to a wedding today then Suzannes class reunion tonight. Typical busy weekend here.
Don't blame me! I voted for Bernie!

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 pm

most of Canandaigua is now under water.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:22 am

Most of Canandaigua is still under water.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:31 pm

Huge tree fell down on a vehicle parked in the owners driveway on Clark St near Mason, on north side. It's right next to the Barlow Creek clearing (one house up from corner of Mason St on right hand side as you drive toward S. Pearl. area - The tree destroyed his car.

A number of years ago, I visited the Mayor at her monthly public meetings and mentioned to her that there are many trees in the city that dangerously over hanged city streets, and could pose a danger to people walking, riding a bike or driving their cars. All these trees are between the street and sidewalk, cities responsibility. I showed her pictures from my camera of many trees from Clark, N. Pearl, Fort Hill Ave and a number of other streets. I also informed the DPW.

I mentioned to her at that meeting, that the electrical company contracts tree trimming for trees that are near electrical lines. They come to Clark St often, either in late fall or early spring. They told me trees that overhang a street, between sidewalk and street, and do not interfere with lines, are the municipalities responsibility. There are several on Clark st that go right across to the other side, and hover less than 20' above the street. This can be hazardous. She said she would check this out. Nothing has ever been done here!

These trees, Black Walnuts here in Upper Clark, fall often. One did the other day due to rain. The whole tree came right out of the ground and fell on the owners car. But no one was injured. If a tree falls in the street, hope no one is traveling on Clark. 2 year ago on Cross Rd in Phelps, a Canadian couple were killed, when a tree which over hanged the road, fell on their car.

Drive up Clark st and get a look, and then drive down a few other street and look for more. There are many!

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:55 am

Still a bit o' water in the backyard. Hopefully some sun today will help with that.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 am

Mowed grass yesterday. Very high. This summer is toast and over with. July is practically gone and all its done is rain and below average temps. Global weather pattern changes, which have been here since the late 1970's. With nature, were seeing more migratory birds,who come here for a short duration of time, stay longer, some even winter over.

Our black raspberries are done for this year. The reds (summer crop) has been picked; but we will have another picking in Srpt/Oct time, and we'll freeze IQF them. The blackberries (thornless) are gigantic and many, but need a few more days.

I did not get my garlic out yet, so hopefully today I will. It needed a day like yesterday to dry out. My cousin picked his garlic and his was quite large and beautiful.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:53 am

Hopefully get the lawn mowed today.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Went to the Canandaigua Lake Arts & Craft Festival. NIce crowd and wonderful weather. Came home had friend over and grilled supper. Grilled 13-15 to a lb shrimp from Palmer's (2 lb bag for $16.88), along with NY Strip steak (from Palmer's - $4.99 lb) and zucchini, mushrooms, with rice, and corn on the cob. Afterwards we all sat around our huge bonfire, from cut ash, Black Walnut, hard rock maple. Plan on having a bonfire tonight.

Looks like another nice day. Down to a 9 days till surgery, then the parties over for a short while, or worse, they send me to Johnny Johsons.

Got all our garlic out yesterday morning and its all hung up in herb barn drying. Also picked and drying a huge amount of oregano, basil, rosemary, summer and winter savory, sage, thyme, italian parsley. Great year for herbs. Our blackberries are absolutely huge and are being picked. Our tomatoes are around 4' high and loaded; zucchini's giving great production - neighbors got a load yesterday.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:40 pm

Mowed lawn today. 26 inch blade and do neighbors yards as well. Our Weedeater One 8 HP, 26" cutting blade, engine in back lawn mower, 6 years old asd still running well. For $600 a great buy. Had to change the belt once, and sharpen the blades annually. Other than that no other problems.

Need to cut privet hedge down another 3' for tomorrows city lawn debris pickup. I hope this is the last cutting for this year. Grows 3-6' annually. Great privacy blocker.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:04 am

hafta mow hope it don't rain!

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 am

Mowed yesterday adn do other things to get house in shape prior to my surgery on Tuesday. Having carotid artery surgery done - its over 90% blocked. Go home following day, unless things go awry and end up at Johnny Johnsons.

After this surgery, I should at top shape. I've lost over 40 + lbs, even after changing all my recipes to accommodate my new dietary plans.

Upset Business Owner
Ringleader Minion
Ringleader Minion
antispam: No
The middle number please (3): 3

Postby Upset Business Owner » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:49 pm

My dad had both left and right sides done. Was very very tired and grumpy after the surgury. After that till he suffered a stroke during a back operation he felt great 5 bypass' s and artery cleaning only to be crippled by a common procedure. God's in you corner AJ .

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Spoke to a Person in Power yesterday. This person thought Diamond Daves Folly would exist as is for several more years.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 am

UBO - am home but surgery had some complications. They had to go back in and change the bovine graft. So surgery was around 6-7 hours - far longer than my CABG (open heart). It was 7 pm when I woke up. Had to stay overnight in ICU at Thompson, and can't say enough about the nurses there. You ring buzzer and they are there in seconds, much like Strong's Heart Unit. Today I plan on going down the VFW where there preparing our monthly luncheon without us. My wife had her last Chemo treatment yesterday morning. So we both were in dire straits yesterday. Did not get discharged till 7 pm last night. The surgeon was in Geneva in the OR there doing a few vascural procedure. We got others to prepare the VFW meal, but we still want to go down and say hello to the Vets.

Today the wife has to go to the Sands for a shot the day after Chemo -normal procedure. Since we were both down on Wednesday, an local Canandaigua Elk member and his wife wanted to bring us our dinner. Brought us Chicken Parm with spaghetti and Italian bread. What can I say about these wonderful Canandaigua people. Both are teachers, one here in Canandaigua, the other in Fairport. One other couplr is planning on bringing food tonight. again amazing! This truly shows the friendships we have acquired over the years. There are truly a lot of wonderful people here in this city, town, and surrounding area.

I am restricted in lifting 10 lbs or more and not driving. If we go anywhere the wife will have to abstain from alcohol, since I cannot drive. I generally don't drink any alcoholic beverages since my CABG. No beer since October. A wine maybe once a month if that, and only one. At local bars, a caberet savignon,or a merlot.

This weekend is the Coffin annual Picnic in Waterloo (my wife's mothers family). This family came over on the Mayflower, and were here during our early colony times, and fought in the Revolutionary War. My wife can join the DAR and VFW Aux. But she does support the Elks and VFW with her creative craft making table runners and other things and they raffle these off in support of their on-going community programs. The day after her cancer surgery she made a pie for the Elks Ladies Comfort Dinner,which money made goes to a Canandaigua Hospice Place. Each year they donate thousands of dollars to this place from money made from meals.

Next weekend is the Elks Annual Chicken Barbecue and Gun Raffle. There are hundreds of people in Elks parking lot that day. So we run into many friends who are not necessarily Elks members.

Dinner with supports a Canandaigua

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:21 pm

Glad to hear things are OK so far!

Upset Business Owner
Ringleader Minion
Ringleader Minion
antispam: No
The middle number please (3): 3

Postby Upset Business Owner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:12 pm

AJ......glad everything is looking good. Just remember take it easy and dont overdue. Exercise is great but to much to soon is not suggested as dads Doctor put it dont do more than you can tolerate. Just do a little more each day.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:55 am

Went down to VFW at lunch time to visit the vets and see friends. They were preparing food. The wife got right in and starter helping as she usually does, serving foods to the vets. We told the vets that September 14th, we'll be back preparing the luncheon again.

Last night anther local Elks member brought over food for our dinner. Very nice and thoughtful. Pulled off my dressing last night and all is well so far.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Hafta get the lawn mowed, cooler weather is great for outdoor chores!

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:53 am

Mowed grass yesterday. Today washing the siding with power hose. Way far behind due to this rainy summer. Hoping for a long sun, no rain, September where I can cut a few hard rock maples, lilac trees, and ashes. We;ll see. Black walnuts are falling so that is a signal that fall is nearby. Will forage around 750 for our pesto. Nothing like taste of black walnuts. We use them instead of pine nuts which are quite costly. The wife went to radiology to get tattooed on her breast where her tumor was, for her radiation treatment. She'll need around 25 treatments -much weaker dose so more than usual. I am doing fine from my carotid surgery. Down to 153 lbs from 199 lbs prior to open heart surgery. We traded in the old white Hyundai for a new red one. I still have my Nissan Xterra.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Overdose awareness vigil tonight at 6:30 at Kershaw Park Pavilion. We will be there.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:07 pm

Drove Xterra east & south of here searching for farm food. Got gas east of here for $2.33 gallon - filled up the Exterra. Not too many tomatoes anywhere, mostly still green - Tomions and Grandpa's Farm. We got some here and picked up some on Crowe Rd stand for a good price and plan on canning a bushel today. Good day for canning, nice and cool. 14 qts done, and another 14 to go. Another bushel and we'll be done. We have many marzano's coming in the garden - they are big and bountiful.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:23 pm

A few random odds and ends to do around the house today.

ajsuff
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby ajsuff » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:26 am

Early am picked 6 zucchini's, and a bunch of San Marzano's (roma) tomatoes. Probably enough for another 4-5 qts. Heritage Red Raspberries are in full production right now and we;re picking to freeze these babies. Summer ones we use for dessert or just eat. cutting sunflowers down and birds enjoying all the seeds from them. Asparagus is about 8 ft high and in a few weeks we will begin cuttings. Everbearing strawberries still giving us great fruit. Fall letuces, spinach has already been planted and beginning to show. Our herbs are drying and eventually wil be placed in glass jars and used during the cold season in soups, casseroles and all types of our recipes here. I have not seen basil plants as large this year in many years. All our herbs have done very well considering the rainy cool summer.

Getting ready for fall planning such as hard cider. I don't drink hardly any anymore, but many locals enjoy my hard cider which they find non-carbonated, yet not flat, smooth, not too sweet, yet not dry. It's made in the same manner my beers, wines are made with no chemicals and not for the American market. My hard cider is made similar to wine and come in at 13 1/2% alcohol and smooth as a baby's a**.

Also be starting our mother for herbal vinegar soon.

Mushroom hunting soon. Start looking for the King Boletes, the meaty American cousin of the Italian Porcini, identifiable by the spongy bottoms of their caps. Also you may stumble upon some pungent Matsutakes, which is a firm white mushroom that are nothing short of sacred in Japanese cuisine. Of course, the first thing you need to know are signs that will tell you which woods are conducive for foraging and which ones are not.You should look for a mature woods (for boletes) that are open,not full of trees. A forest with hemlocks,oaks, etc., both which have a similar relationship with mushrooms that some of us search for. Mushrooms underground network of fungal threads search out tree roots, and tap into their nutrients. They also help absorb water and other minerals for those trees. Mushroom hunting can be dangerous. Picking similar ones that are not safe, can make you sick, delusional, or cause death. Other mushrooms you may find are those bright yellow fungi on fallen logs. These are honey mushrooms. Also hen of the woods, and chicken of the woods we find in abundance here locally.

Return to “The Home of the Minions”