Curious why the silence

Defending Free Speech in Canandaigua and Ontario County... and New York State. The USA, too. Ummm, the World also. Heck, the Universe.
Tired Old Man
Hairy Stink-Eye Ringleader Minion
Hairy Stink-Eye Ringleader Minion
The middle number please (3): 5

Curious why the silence

Postby Tired Old Man » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Pretty quiet around here regarding the suicide by cop at Northsore. Wondering why all the silence

Upset Business Owner
Ringleader Minion
Ringleader Minion
antispam: No
The middle number please (3): 3

Re: Curious why the silence

Postby Upset Business Owner » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Not sure if they really know what's up themselves at this point. Also not sure why State Police is heading the investigation into the death of a State Parole Officer when it should have been the Sheriffs Dept. to insure that the investigation its not tainted. I spoke with a retired parole officer who is a close friend and he says Parole is totally in the dark. He further said that she had spoken with her supervisor several times during her leave and everything seemed normal till early this week but couldn't say why. He also said that investigators from Albany are going over all her reports and interviewing parolees that were on her case load. They also have investigators in NYC. Region looking into her time there..

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Two member of law enforcement shooting at each other and one now dead. A huge public relations fiasco. I'm sure we'll hear very little.
Don't blame me! I voted for Bernie!

TomsDad
Lift Flap In Case Of Fire Minion
Lift Flap In Case Of Fire Minion

Postby TomsDad » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:48 am

I have it on no authority whatsoever that they are keeping the Pinnacle North shooting quiet to keep people busy and not asking questions about the Camelot death.

If you believe that, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
Driving the Left Back into the Shadows

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to be Liberals.

TBurd
Unknown To Science Minion
Unknown To Science Minion

Postby TBurd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 am

I have heard a lot of rumor and conjecture about the Camelot case but nothing has been verified yet so I will not repeat them here.
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination, from authorities who have not themselves examined the questions at issue but have taken them at second-hand from other non-examiners, whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing."

Mark Twain

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:58 am

I've seen the press conferences about this... but none about the weekly deaths by overdoses we're having.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:03 am

Slain Canandaigua parole officer was shot in her bedroom

By Denise Champagne dchampagne@messengerpostmedia.com
Posted Oct 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM
Updated Oct 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM

DOCCS was concerned when she didn’t return to work after a leave, prompting the welfare check that led to her death.

CANANDAIGUA — A handgun issued to New York State Parole Officer Sandy Guardiola fired at least one round Wednesday in an exchange of gunfire with a Canandaigua city police officer inside her Pinnacle North apartment, police revealed Friday.

She was later pronounced dead at Thompson Hospital.

Preliminary autopsy results, announced by state police during an afternoon press conference, show Guardiola died as the result of a gunshot. Police would not say how many shots had been fired or how many times she was hit.

State Police Major Rick Allen said Guardiola, 48, was in her bedroom when a Canandaigua police officer entered the apartment at Pinnacle North about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. He said she was alone in the apartment.

The name of the Canandaigua police officer who shot Guardiola is still not being released. He was not injured in the exchange.

“We’re not releasing the name of the police officer,” Allen said. “That’s up to the chief if he wants to release that.”

Canandaigua City Police Chief Stephen Hedworth said the officer’s name will not be released at this time and would not say when it would be released.

He said the police officer had gone to Pinnacle North to check on the well-being of an off-duty parole officer at the request of the Division of Parole, now the state Department of Corrections and Community Service.

“She didn’t show up for work that day,” said Allen. “That’s why parole became concerned. They wanted her welfare checked upon.”

He said Guardiola had suffered some injuries in a car accident a few weeks ago in the Southern Tier, had been out of work and was due to return to work that morning.

Allen said it will be several months before final autopsy results are available and police can make definitive conclusions and final findings.

Capt. Carolyn Mullin said toxicology test results could take up to six months. She said most of Guardiola’s family is downstate.

“They’re grieving,” said Ontario County First Assistant District Attorney Jim Ritts. “They’re coming to grips with it and navigating the loss of their mother, their sister, their loved one. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, with law enforcement and with parole. This is tragic.”

Hedworth said police first tried to contact Guardiola, but did not get a response. Due to the level of concern, the police officer was given access to the apartment by Pinnacle North staff about 4:30 p.m. and two minutes later radioed 911 that shots had been fired.

“It’s every officer’s nightmare,” Hedworth said. “I think a lot of time people tend to forget these are people that just wear uniforms. They’re no different than anybody else. The have all the same feelings, emotions, stresses that everybody else has. The officer is shaken by it, coupled with the fact this was somebody that was shot that is in law enforcement and the law enforcement family, so it has an impact.

“My heart goes out to him. My heart goes out to Sandy’s family. I can’t imagine what they’re going through right now and the Canandaigua community grieves for them. All we can do at this point is support everybody that’s involved.”

Guardiola, who came to western New York about a year ago from New York City, had been with the parole division since May 2015, assigned to the Western Region.

Allen said there are several steps left in the investigation, including interviews with several people and a review of forensics test results once received from laboratories.

“Once we have everything we need, we’ll put a report together,” he said.

Hedworth said the police officer involved in the shooting will remain on paid administrative leave for the time being, pending receipt of reports from state police and district attorney’s office. He said the department will conduct its own internal investigation upon completion of the criminal investigation.

Upset Business Owner
Ringleader Minion
Ringleader Minion

Postby Upset Business Owner » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 pm

A friend who is in the Ontario County law enforcement family says that the officer who shot the parole officer is Sgt. Scott Kadian.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:13 pm

Slain Canandaigua parole officer was shot in her bedroom

By Denise Champagne dchampagne@messengerpostmedia.com
Posted Oct 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM
Updated Oct 7, 2017 at 10:46 AM

DOCCS was concerned when she didn’t return to work after a leave, prompting the welfare check that led to her death.

CANANDAIGUA — A handgun issued to New York State Parole Officer Sandy Guardiola fired at least one round Wednesday in an exchange of gunfire with a Canandaigua city police officer inside her Pinnacle North apartment, police revealed Friday.

She was later pronounced dead at Thompson Hospital.

Preliminary autopsy results, announced by state police during an afternoon press conference, show Guardiola died as the result of a gunshot. Police would not say how many shots had been fired or how many times she was hit.

State Police Major Rick Allen said Guardiola, 48, was in her bedroom when a Canandaigua police officer entered the apartment at Pinnacle North about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday. He said she was alone in the apartment.

The name of the Canandaigua police officer who shot Guardiola is still not being released. He was not injured in the exchange.

“We’re not releasing the name of the police officer,” Allen said. “That’s up to the chief if he wants to release that.”

Canandaigua City Police Chief Stephen Hedworth said the officer’s name will not be released at this time and would not say when it would be released.

He said the police officer had gone to Pinnacle North to check on the well-being of an off-duty parole officer at the request of the Division of Parole, now the state Department of Corrections and Community Service.

“She didn’t show up for work that day,” said Allen. “That’s why parole became concerned. They wanted her welfare checked upon.”

He said Guardiola had suffered some injuries in a car accident a few weeks ago in the Southern Tier, had been out of work and was due to return to work that morning.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:03 pm

FOIL request filed (not by me) to find out who did the shooting.

Upset Business Owner
Ringleader Minion
Ringleader Minion

Postby Upset Business Owner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 am

City will take the easy way out...the same way they have responded in other investigations. We acknowledge the imformation exists but due to an on going police investigation we can not release it at this time.

Answers MPN's request that it is available and then denys it with reason. And most likely the response will come at the deadline to answer MPN's request. So much for FOILing documents that everyone knows exist.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:01 pm

Also, if she was shot at close quarters in the confines of a bedroom, she certainly died there. It was reported she was 'pronounced dead' at Thompson, not the same thing.

Upset Business Owner
Ringleader Minion
Ringleader Minion

Postby Upset Business Owner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:04 pm

If the EMT's detected a pulse while doing CPR and place the victim in the ambulance to transport to hospital but loose it in route then she would be pronounced dead at the hospital.

With the new defiberation equipment, CPR pumps and Pulse monitors on scene more people are being transported than in the past.

Jeff Marinelli
Permanently Irked Minion
Permanently Irked Minion

Postby Jeff Marinelli » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:57 am

Our view: Why we are pursuing the identity of officer in fatal shooting

Posted at 2:01 AM

The initial comments posted Tuesday on the Daily Messenger’s Facebook page (@MessengerPostMedia) in response to the newspaper’s recent FOIL request were pretty harsh.

“What purpose to the public does this serve? Absolutely nothing. Sometimes the news media needs to shut its mouth.”

“Why do you have to be like the rest of the main stream crappy media! Why has it become everyone’s business to know everything? Social media and society in general just simply sucks [and have] ruined our culture!”

“Why can’t we wait until the investigation is complete and all the information is released? What makes ‘the right to know’ more important than this person’s privacy?”

The criticism followed the Daily Messenger’s Freedom of Information Law request issued to the city of Canandaigua demanding that the city identify the city police officer who was involved in the fatal shooting Oct. 4 of an off-duty parole officer. The FOIL request came only after multiple members of the Canandaigua Police Department and city government declined repeated verbal requests for the information.

To date, the city has not provided the identity of the officer, eight days after he was placed on paid administrative leave following the shooting.

Boiled down, the primary concern of the newspaper’s critics was: “Why?” Here, then, is our response.

Robert Freeman, executive director of the New York State Committee on Open Government, is the state’s preeminent and most-respected expert on public records law. His assessment of the information the newspaper is seeking on behalf of the public: “Clearly public, clearly public, clearly public.”

“There may be other elements of the record that can be held, but the mere identity of the officer acting in the performance of his duties would be public, even though there is a possibility that other aspects of the record may be withheld,” Freeman told a Daily Messenger reporter.

So we have information that is on its face patently public that our government is arbitrarily deciding to withhold from public view. If the newspaper were to consent to this public information being withheld without a fight, a precedent would be established in which the government in the future could feasibly withhold additional public information whose release was less controversial but nonetheless not in the government’s decided interest.

It is the responsibility of this paper as a steward of the community to ensure that public access to open records is maintained and even eased. It also is the position of the Daily Messenger that democracy always operates best in the sunshine — when an empowered citizenship can ask appropriate questions and bring accountability to public affairs.

But some of our vocal critics have still questioned the motivation of the paper in pursuing the officer’s identity. “Leave it alone! This officer has suffered enough,” one critic cried, while another declared: “It serves no purpose to publically identify the officer. It only serves the nosey people so they can make assumptions and stir the social media pot. Do we really need to create more drama? It will come out when it needs to.”

Again, this pursuit is not to make a tragic situation even more difficult for the parties involved — or to bring undue harm to a member of the city’s police force. Without knowing the officer’s identity, however, the ability of the public and the newspaper to raise informed concerns about the response, incitement and prowess of our first responders is denied. The power of the press to shine a light on the actions and decisions of public agencies was protected within the U.S. Constitution for this very reason — to ensure the continued faith of the citizenry in being governed by consent.

This paper then will continue to press for the immediate release of the officer’s identity — as doing so protects the public’s right to know that information which directly impacts the common good. A failure to do so would cast in shadows the most critical need of a free and empowered community — unfettered access to decidedly public information.

Upset Business Owner
Ringleader Minion
Ringleader Minion

Postby Upset Business Owner » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:02 pm

Well the City finally released the name of the police officer who was involved in the Parole Officers shooting and as reported here on October 8th it was Sgt. Scott Kadian He returned from paid administrative leave today and has been assigned administrative duties till the State Police finish the investigation and present it to Tantillo. Still not sure why the State Police are doing the investigation since she is a sworn state officer. Would have thought that the County would have been asked to do it.

The Citys full response is now on the Messengers Website.

Return to “The Home of the Minions”